OH! FOR THE LOVE OF. . . .

One college girl's search to understand growing up, and the lost art of loving herself and the world through food!

Monday, March 15, 2010

History is preserved in a cup of sugar!

Haha, well, maybe not always sugar.

You see, I was never a believer in this secret recipe bull. Food is like love on a plate, and love should be shared. And, although I am not on speaking terms with love at the moment, nothing makes me happier than a well executed dish of the yum! I have seen good food draw together even the most hated of enemies! So, the power of food should not be messed with.

I always find it amazing to see what does and does not cross international borders, cultures and transcends time. I mean, look at how many people know how to cook some random dish the exact same way their great great great aunt Berta once did. And, how many kinds of food are cherished by American's the world over? I think historians are missing a large part of the past when they choose to overlook what is inside the family recipe box (or file as the world turns more electronically based).

So, with my love for sharing and my ideals on it, let me tell you a little bit about my family.

My Granny is originally from the hill country of Virginia. She is one of the few who when she calls herself a hillbilly, she isn't degrading herself. It is said with absolute pride because it is the hill folk that shaped her into who she is today. It is amazing to see where the roots of my family were once laid.

My grandmother said her mother once made this recipe when she was a little girl, and my great aunt Margaret always makes them when the bell peppers ripen. These freeze great!

Funny side note: I had to ask my Aunt Margaret for the recipe (which she had in her head because who writes down family recipes?) because my Granny said when she makes these it is touch and go >.> comforting thought.

A blast from the past and magically delicious!

STUFFED BELL PEPPERS - A LA HILL PEOPLE!

4 - 6 Bell Peppers
1 lb. hamburger (give or take)
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1 lg. can chopped tomatoes
4 - 6 pieces light bread, toasted

Cut bell peppers in half and take out the icky innards.
Boil until tender (use a fork to test. Make sure they aren't mushy, but aren't hard)
Drain water and dry peppers
Put on a pan (baking sheet works)
Brown hamburger in a pan
In separate pan add onion and green pepper. Cook til tender.
Add tomatoes and hamburger to the onion and pepper mix. Cook til it begins to thicken. (about 10 min)
Shred the toast by pinching it. Let it absorb the liquid for a few minutes.
Taste it. Add salt, pepper and spices to taste. ( I like oregano, marjoram, and rosemary)
Fill peppers with a heaping mound of this mixture.
Put the peppers in the oven at 350 degrees F for 45 mins. (this will brown the mixture and dry out the rest of the water. Essentially they are finished before you bake them, but still a lil too wet to be perfect).
I love these, and they freeze fantastically!
A little love on a plate from my family to yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment